What We Do
We conceive, create, and share communications in support of the Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC) mission to provide global leadership in scientific research, health and medical education, and patient care. We proudly use our creative skills to tell stories about the medical center’s four schools:
- Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Mailman School of Public Health
- School of Nursing
- College of Dental Medicine
Our expertise spans media relations, brand management, digital marketing, publications, internal communications, social media, and video production. Learn more about our work and how you can partner with us. To share your news or ask us questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our team is focused on connecting Columbia researchers and physicians with media and the public. If you are a Columbia faculty or staff member, we can help you to communicate your latest research to the press, prepare you for media interviews, help you to write and place op-eds, and create videos and other multimedia that describe your work. To maximize media opportunities, share your news about papers and other initiatives in advance.
If you are a journalist or producer, we can help you to find an expert, set up a photo or film shoot at Columbia, and provide research assistance for a story.
Read about our policy for interviews, photography, video, or filming at CUIMC.
We speak with one voice in our marketing efforts and ensure that our brand’s story aligns with the visual identity and values of Columbia University. In close collaboration with the faculty practice organization, we direct the marketing strategy for the medical center and assist medical center entities in promoting themselves effectively and appropriately. We provide the following services:
- Oversight of the CUIMC brand and identity
- Consultations on marketing strategy
- Management and launch of marketing campaigns
- Review of high-profile advertising campaigns
- Review of name/logo usage for external purposes
We bring experience in digital marketing and more traditional forms of marketing, such as signage, print, or broadcast, and draw on strong vendor relationships to assist in marketing campaigns. Our office reviews all name/logo usages by external entities and all high-visibility advertising placements. CUIMC Communications also serves as the main medical center liaison for the Columbia University Office of Communications and Public Affairs and NewYork-Presbyterian Communications and Marketing. Read more about our brand.
Our team shares information with faculty, staff, and students across the medical center through email and online formats. We manage the following platforms and publications:
- Broadcast emails alert the campus to important news and are reserved for topics important and urgent for the entire community. To submit a broadcast email request, fill out this online form (Columbia UNI is required.) Read about our broadcast email policy.
- CUIMC Celebrates acknowledges members of our community who have received major awards, been elected to honorary societies, or taken leadership positions in professional organizations and also recognizes the generous donors who support education, patient care, and research programs. CUIMC Celebrates is published online approximately every other month. To share your honors, please submit them via our online form (login required).
- CU168: News For and About CUIMC, a digital newsletter sent weekly by email during the academic year, highlights news and information of interest to the greater CUIMC community.
- The medical center events calendar, which is part of the Columbia-wide Bedework calendar platform, displays user-submitted CUIMC events. To submit an event, log in with your UNI. Communications reviews event submissions on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Visit the information page to learn more about the calendar system, including instructions for creating a calendar account for your department or office.
- The Weekly Media Report is an email compilation showcasing news media coverage of CUIMC research, education, patient care, and community outreach. Subscribe to the WMR listserv.
- Archived issues of In Vivo, a medical center newsletter published from January 2002 to December 2008, can be found online.
Outside the realm of CUIMC Communications, digital signage offers another way to communicate internally. More information about campus digital signs is available on the digital signage page.
For more information about internal communications at CUIMC, email email@example.com.
Two printed publications are produced each year under the Columbia Medicine masthead. Two issues are published as a traditional medical school magazine with an alumni section for VP&S alumni. The annual report edition is a hybrid issue that highlights the best of the medical school’s fiscal year through feature stories, fund-raising success stories, and statistics and financial information about the school. The purpose of the magazine is to build and maintain relationships with key constituencies by providing interesting news and features for alumni, medical school faculty, and friends and supporters of the medical school.
CUIMC has a social presence on:
Like, follow, tag, and interact with our social channels to help us build a good community vibe. Have an idea for social media? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read about our social media policy.
CUIMC Communications runs a fully equipped, professional video studio in the Hammer Health Sciences Center that is available on a fee-for-service basis. From faculty profiles to science shorts, we transform your ideas into polished videos. The Video Studio also offers headshots on a monthly basis. For more information, email digital media specialist Brian Winkowski at email@example.com and the Video Studio coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View services and rates for the CUIMC Video Studio.